Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Preparing for Action

While we are trying to get all of the kinks worked out, I thought that I would drop this post in for the sake of those who will be doing the tutorials. We are trying to get everyone's schedule worked out, so please be patient with us. It will surely be worth it!

As I was thinking about these upcoming tutorials, I realized that some ladies may not be experienced seamstresses. (I am not either, so don't feel bad) I know that I will state some things on this post today that are obvious to the experienced, but for some of us.... Well, let's just say that I have learned many lessons the hard way, through experience. So, here goes....

If you are going to be working with fabric at all on your project, you need to follow a few very important guidelines.

First of all, choose your fabric wisely. You don't want to get your project complete only to realize that your fabric is just WRONG! For example, the fabric might look absolutely adorable in small amounts, but a whole dress out of  this...
Well, let's just say that with a rainbow wig and a handful of balloons, I would have made a great clown! What looks so cute in small amounts can be rather overwhelming in large doses. A swirling black on white might be beautiful on the bolt, but a whole blouse could make someone sitting behind you in church a little dizzy!
Also you want to make sure that the fabric that you are using is compatible with the project. Filling a slit with jersey knit might not work really well.
The wrong fabric can make or break a project! But once it is done...  Well, you have two choices, start over or live with it! Neither of which are very appealing to me.

Secondly, before you start your  project, make sure that you have enough to finish it. What does the Scripture say "For which of you, intending to build a tower {or sew a project}, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost {or the fabric}, whether he {she} have sufficient to finish it?" Let me just tell you, if you don't you will end up very discouraged! (I have experienced this more than once. Hey, they say that confession is good for the soul. Mine is going to be real healthy by the end of this post!)

Third,   before you even start cutting on the fabric, wash it! I cannot tell you the times that I have ignorantly completed a project, worn it once then washed it. Never to wear it again because it had shrunk 1-3 sizes. Ooooohhhhh! Now that is very aggravating! They put something in the fabric at the factory called sizing. I am not 100% sure what it is(maybe someone wiser can share with us what it is and what the real purpose is), but it makes it look and feel extra special on the bolt. That way you don't know what it will look like after it is washed. I think they do that to fool us or trick us into buying things that really are rather awfully wrinklable (ok, I don't think that is a word, but you get my point!). So wash it as soon as you get home, dry it and then fold it up really nice until you get to your project. IF it is really wrinkly, you will want to iron it before you do your project, because those wrinkles make a big difference in how your item will turn out in the end.

Speaking of irons.... Number four  would be, keep an iron handy at all times. Iron every seam and fold, it just makes the whole thing easier and more finished looking in the long run.

Well, that is all that I can think of right now, but those are some of the biggees that I had to learn the hard way.  Do any of you have any more tips to share? Please, share in the comment section below.

Hope that all of your projects turn out beautiful! And most of all that you enjoy being...

Intentionally Modest!


In Christ,
S. Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment